Monday, August 27, 2012

Great Intentions



Yes I intended to blog every week but I got busy.  New York is FULL ON!  I don't know how people do the whole moving to New York to write thing. I am too busy to write.

It has been an intense month. The first couple of weeks were pretty awful.  Between the intense heat and the horrible jet lag, nothing felt right. You see, there's the 'perception' of moving to New York and then there is the 'reality' of moving to New York.... and then there is the 'reality of moving to New York WITH A FOUR YEAR OLD'.

As with anything, there is a period of adjustment and a period of transition. We are still in that.  I think it actually takes 18-24 months to settle in anywhere and really immerse oneself in the full experience of living in a new city.  We won't be here that long so it is a case of cramming in all the good bits and trying to skim over the crappy bits.  We were just about coming out into the light at the end of the tunnel after 2 years in Sydney so it is quite challenging to start at Go again.

That said, I absolutely love New York City and I feel very comfortable here.  It is such a melting pot of diversity and cultures.  I don't feel in the slightest bit out of place or foreign.  The people everywhere are exceptionally friendly (except the shop assistants on the Upper East side).  I am pretty sure I will pull out Edina's 'You only work in a shop you know, you can drop the attitude' at some point.

I feel very lucky to be here in what is without question the capitol of the World. Everything happens here - good and bad. Everything you can possible imagine is available - and not only is it available it can be delivered RIGHT NOW.  The theatre, the museums, the art, the shopping - everything here is in a league of its own.  There is something very satisfying about being in the epicentre of everything. There is no FOMO (fear of missing out) in New York City.

I am getting to know the city on foot - the best way.  I walk everywhere.  How in hell Carrie and the girls ponced about in Manolos, I will never know.  I am very happy in my comfy wedges or sneakers because I don't want to limit the experience by having sore feet! I've grown a little bit more sensible in my mid 30s! Sorry to disappoint!  I also don't want to ruin the experience by gaining 20kgs and feeling horrible about myself - so the walking counteracts the EATING.

Oh the food... oh my.  Thankfully, everything has the calorie count written clearly next to it and that kills the mood pretty quickly!

So, a quick rundown of my favourite things so far:

Favourite bar: Press Lounge Rooftop Bar at Ink48
Favourite restaurant: Balthazar (Barry McCurdie you were right)
Favourite food item: French Onion Soup at Balthazar
Favourite Deli: 2nd Avenue Deli in Midtown East
Favourite Cheap Eat: Burger Joint at Parker Meridien
Favourite Department store: Bloomingdales
Favourite Shop:  J Crew and Banana Republic
Favourite Walk: Around Central Park
Favourite Extravagance: Wholefoods at Time Warner

More soon....
XOXO












No comments: